Friday, September 16, 2005

I Kick Ass (with My Shoes I Got in the French Quarter)

The talking heads were pretty frothed up about Bush’s speech last night, especially those fiscal conservatives (e.g., Tucker Carlson) who thought that Washington spending a shitpile of money (up to 100% of the bill) to rebuild the Gulf Coast might be a bad idea. Bush sounded like a liberal, yes, but I couldn’t help but think there is no way he can make good on all of these promises. And then I thought, wait . . . where are all the fuckin’ people? Had they planned to chopper in some refugees from Houston but cancelled the plans at the last minute? Couldn’t they have brought in some horse-drawn carriages and panhandlers? Oooo, that’s what would’ve sold it . . . having a 12-year-old African American kid walk up to the president, mid-speech, and say, "I bet I can tell you where you got your shoes."

A NIO correspondent had this to say:

"I'm still waiting for someone to publicly point out that he chose a camera shot, standing in front of an Andrew Jackson memorial in Jackson square. Either these guys are beyond stupid ("Hey, . . let's do it in front of this kickass general sculpture, 'cause it reminds people that I kick ass!") or it's a symbolic way of saying, "Fuck you, poor black people!" reminiscent of the time (and conservatives love to point this out) Bill Clinton wore Monica's tie during his public apology.

"I miss the good 'ol days when getting blown in the Oval Office was the worst thing a president could do."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home